Thursday, December 20, 2018

NHK Orchestra in Fukuoka(My Christmas thing!!!)

Across building and Central Park in Fukuoka

Getting closer to Christmas and New Year’s, I always feel like doing something classic and unforgettable(‘classic’ and ‘unforgettable’ are quite well-associated in my brain because typically I do not put my time, energy, or even money on things classical). To make it up to myself who has to work long and hard to make customers who want to spend Christmas and New Year’s doing something classic and unforgettable and is not able to have any time for recreation, I decided to go to NHK Orchestra Concert which was supposed to be held about a week before Christmas(the date was 16th).


The ticket and pamphlet

As a matter of fact, I had been looking for a ballet show like ‘Nutcracker.’ Most of the ballet shows ahead were to be held in January in 2019. Watching ‘Nutcracker’ was a kind of my or my family’s ritual for every December for a while. My only niece, Clair, practiced ballet pretty enthusiastically, even thinking of doing professionally(For now, one of the few heritages she practiced ballet is that she is a bit better at stretching than typical people). One of the reasons I chose the NHK Orchestra is that ‘Nutcracker’ was to be played.

Another reason for me to choose it is that I want to compare NHK Orchestra with KBS Orchestra. Definitely, NHK was established earlier than KBS, and I expected its longer history could give me something more elegant and classic.

The most surprising thing: it was not music but aged audience
But the most surprising thing was shown even before the start of the concert. There were so many elderly citizens. I did not calculate one by one, but more than half of the audiences looked aged to enough to be called ‘elderly citizen.’ In case of South Korea, so called ‘elderly citizens’ don’t comprise the majority of classic music concerts, and moms crazy with their kids’ education, their kids, and (if they are obedient or unlucky) their husbands are the main customers(let’s put aside young couples who try to show up their liberal art). I made a few assumptions. Probably there is a very generous policy for discounting the prices of tickets for elderly citizens in order for them to enjoy their retirement more culturally. Or, the elderly citizen had enjoyed so called economic booms before so called ‘Forgotten 20 Years’ and afforded to buy the lifetime memberships before they retired.

The secondly most surprising thing: just music. Seriously it was just music.
Nutcracker is about ‘Christmas.’ However, in the concert, there was nothing related Christmas or something. The concert was purely about ‘Nutcracker.’ As far as I know and remember, back in Korea in many classic shows, there are many decorations or visual aids shown to lift up audience’s Christmas feelings. Sometimes, in highlighting parts, videos of the ballet performances or movie scenes are temporarily shown on a big screen to the side. There was no Santa Clause hat. There was no color ‘red.’

One common thing:falling asleep
There were many people who fell asleep listening to the music. I understood. The music was quite relaxing (or boring). It was not a good choice to listen ‘Nutcracker.’ I should have watched the ballet.

Next show to watch: a musical
As far as I know, a musical company ‘Shiki’ has a long and brilliant history after its establishment. I even remember a documentary aired by a Korean TV channel which dealt with the Korean actresses and actors who were struggling to get roles in musicals of Shiki. And I even remember I have seen a building of the theater which is used exclusively by the company in Tokyo. In Fukuoka, the company uses theaters in Canal City which is the biggest and the most popular shopping mall in Fukuoka.

“Shakespeare in Love”
Of course, “Shakespeare in Love” is more popular as a movie. It is supposed to be performed from Christmas to New Year’s. I liked the movie. I watched it about 10 years ago. I am not sure I can have a day off and watch it. But, I am looking forward to it.

“Lion King”
“Lion King!” Everyone knows musical, “Lion King.” Checking the site of Shiki, I got to know the next one is ‘Lion King.’ According to the schedules shown on the Internet, the show starts in March 2019. Spring! I hope to watch it with my niece, Clair!!!

One thing I got to know: I loved Christmas and miss it in Korea
I am not sure why, but I have felt down December. I just hope it goes over fast. Christian or not, everyone back in Korea seemed serious over Christmas and tried to do something(even my ex-boss suggested me to drink draft beer with fried chicken together. He was not Christian. I miss him). For now, I have no one like that. I live in Japan. I live in Hita.

McDonald in Hita: the most Christmas like place in Hita
Ending the script, I am in McDonald listening to Christmas songs like Michael Bolton,   and Mariah Carey. It feels like Christmas.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment