Thursday, September 7, 2017

Japanese read a bit longer than Koreans


On the second day after arriving in Tokyo, I headed to Uneno Park which is quite close to Asakusa where I was staying. There were many social activities including school field trips going on. I found a big group with primary school kids, their parents and teachers. Outside of the group, there was a girl reading a book.  She was so focused. I like people reading books. One of the things I am impressed whenever I visit Japan  is that there are relatively more people seen reading books from primary school kids to senior citizens. Compared to Korea, more people reading books are seen in the subway trains. Of course, it seems that due to the increase of smartphone users, the number of people reading books on the subway is fewer than 10 years ago when I visited Japan for the first time. 

I felt like googling to know whether my impression over Japanese reading habits is in accordance with the statistics. So I googled typing in " Which country reads the most." I found a page. Surprisingly, it was 'India' that reads the most( I had expected Finland which is popular for its high reputation of education system). Indians read more than 10 hours a week. Japnese read a little bit longer than Koreans. They read 4 hours and 6 minutes a week. Koreans read 3 hours and 6 minutes a minutes a week.  Chinese read 8 hours a week. My impression over Japanese reading habits was a bit matched with the statistics(Japanese read more than Koreans). 

Indians read 10 hours a week!

Chinese read  8 hours a week!

Japanese read 4 hours a week.

Koreans read 3 hours a week.


https://www.statista.com/chart/6125/which-countries-read-the-most/


I feel like visiting Beijing and Mumbai soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment