Thursday, March 12, 2020

Fukuoka Airport on March 9th, 2020

I am not busy these days as everyone around is. I wouldn't mention why. Everyone knows why.

2019 was quite tough. The diplomatic tension between South Korea and Japan accompanied with Japanese administration's decision to exclude South Korea from the so-called 'White List' and civil boycott movement, the long and violent demonstration in Hong Kong and so on.  But I got through them all. I made good sales. 

You can read my blog related geopolitics in East Asia and sales. I just scribbled thoughts that I came up with while running.

https://eastasiaseminar.blogspot.com/2020/03/international-politics-and-sales-of.html

For now, I feel helpless.
It feels weird I don't get by any overseas tourists chatting on the streets. 
It feels I am isolated in a place I am not sure I belong or not. 

The only thing I thought I could was trying to figuring out what happened and is happening.

2020. 3. 5.
Abe administration announced that it would stop visa exemption program for short-term(90 days) Korean visitors and cancel most of the visa issued to Chinese visitors.  

2020. 3. 6.
Korean government took a counteraction stopping visa exemption program for short term(90 days) Japanese visitors.

I was curious what the Japanese public reaction was like because I had felt something different from  the situation of 2019  of the diplomatic disputes such as GSOMIA.

Honestly speaking, people didn't asked me what's wrong with the Korean government and President Moon like they had. 

I bought two newspapers: Nishnihon shinbun(西日本新聞社) and The Japan Times.

The overall sentiment: why now?

The situation already proceeded to 'Pandemic' which can't be controlled by shutting down the border.

Moreover, the announcement took place abruptly. ( I wouldn't mention the diplomatic arguments between Korea and Japan. As far as I know, there was no inner consultation among the professionals, government officers, and the Diet in advance. If I am wrong, let me know.)

A Japanese living in Hong Kong interviewed said considering the situation in Hong Kong being stabilized currently, the decision doesn't make sense and gives only discomfort  to both the public in both Japan and Hong Kong.

I went to Fukuoka International Airport. I felt doing so (additionally, when I would figure out something especially social science thing, I always tried to do web or paper research and field research inspired by Jim Rogers).


Not related to this blog, though, I read a few books of Jim Rogers and watched his interview on Youtube. One of the interviews held in Tokyo was quite interesting. It is about the future of Japan. You had better watch it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1II6DGK4Q&t=68s






I roamed around the airport.

The airport was just empty.

The parking lot was empty. The arrival was empty. The departure was empty.

Most flights from and to Korea and China including Hong Kong were cancelled. I could see a couple of flights left ready.



I don't know when it would go calm down. Writing the blog, I saw a series of news from BBC about the quick spreading out of Corona Virus in Europe. What's next? North America?

I found a proverb reading news with my smartphone.

No man is an island.

We should help each other.

Not rhetoric.

We should help each other to survive.

The 5th vlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOqfs4Zn8b0





1 comment:

  1. Pretty crazy to see how countries are shutting others out, and how people more generally are doing the same, even though they might not personally feel this kind of resentment towards others.
    As things blow over, I'm curious to see how we get back to the happy and connected world we know

    ReplyDelete