Monday, February 10, 2020

Rationalization for starting Vlogging



I decided to do Vlogging for one year from this week (12th February 2020). 
I came up with some ideas for the first episode, took video roaming (or running) around Fukuoka City, and edited it. Calculating the amount of the time I spent on the first video, it took about 7 hours in total, which means I am going to invest my 7 hours for making a Vlog video every week(I am not sure what I can quit among the things I am doing now). If I do one year, it is a huge thing.

Doing something new long takes at least a few reasons with which you can rationalize the trial to keep going or give up on the way without any regret. 
Trying writing down the rationalization is helpful in not forgetting the reasons I made up and being disoriented on the way and to the way. I will do the work now.

I will reveal some external clues which triggered my brain to make a decision which even now I think a bit silly. The first clue is the responses that I got from the customers who visited the restaurant I work. I made a few short YouTube videos which briefly introduces the restaurant and its dishes. One of them was uploaded on the website of the restaurant. Whenever I got an email for booking, I sent a reply with links to the Youtube video. The customers’ responses were positive. They said they felt quite comfortable in enjoying the dishes of the restaurant because they had got details. 
It seemed that they felt more informed when the information was given in multiple forms of media than plain texts. My conclusion was that I need to know video better not just as a consumer but as a producer.

My only niece Hyunah recommended me to try Vlogging. I used to ask her many trendy things going on social networks and the information from her was very helpful in catching up with the current of social networks. 

But when it comes to Vlogging, I didn’t understand why so many people take their time watching the long and lame Vlogging videos. Maybe I resisted understanding. She told me that in order to understand why Vlogging videos are viral, I should try Vlogging on my own. 
She must have been sick and tired of her uncle’s endless calls for help and advice. When she advised me to start Vlogging, I had already known that video has become more crucial in nurturing more efficient communication. I couldn’t come up with an excuse to say “I can’t” anymore and declared that I would try one-year personal project of Vlogging.

Last week, I felt like trying something promotive for the Writing Group in which I participate relatively actively as a social activity. I took a short video where the participants were talking about the essays they had written, edited it, uploaded it on YouTube Channel, and sent it to people with whom I wouldn’t feel much shy. One of them was a sort of the leader of the Writing Group. She said,
“Watching the video, I felt I was watching my sister!”

Bang!
Watching oneself on the video could be a good opportunity to watch and reflect oneself more objectively and realistically. 
With her reaction, I felt like I want to review myself in 5 years or 10 years, which definitely could help me understand what I have gone through and I will go through.

The clues have been piled up enough. I start Vlogging this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment